Thursday, August 9, 2012

So, How Are You Feeling Today?

I didn’t used to be this way.  I didn’t dread coming to work.  I didn’t go home at night hating the world.  Once I got home, I didn’t used to cringe when the phone rang.  I didn’t feel like hiding inside the house and never leaving again.  I wasn’t a negative person.  I didn’t hate it when the doorbell rang, or when I had to come home, get ready, and go back out again for something social, and smile at the same people who made my life hell earlier that day.
I do now.
I didn’t cringe when the phone rang (and rang, and rang, and rang again) at work.  I didn’t cringe when I was told it was for me (every 5 minutes).  I didn’t cringe (and wonder if it is too late to duck behind the counter) when Mr. or Mrs. Needy came through the doors, knowing I was in for at least 10 minutes of my time wasted.
I do now.
I used to love being here for my people.  I loved coming to work.  I was a positive person, to the point of being a bit naive.  I smiled and laughed.  I loved the little old ladies and gentlemen who came in, trusted me, and respected me.  I loved teaching people about their medications and talking to them about their diets and nutrition.  I loved feeling like I was making a difference, albeit a small one, in the world.  When I did arrive at home, I used to have some energy left for the people and things I love.  I didn’t used to be an antisocial, ranting, soap-box standing Phrustrated Pharmacist. 
I am now. 
And it makes me very sad, not just for me and my family, but for my colleagues, the profession of pharmacy, and the healthcare profession in general.  It is a sign of the times, and a sign of just how bad it is getting in the world of pharmacy.  Over time, things have subtly changed.  Patient attitudes towards the pharmacy and pharmacist have slowly shifted, and practice of pharmacy has changed.  It’s no longer a practice of anything but futility.  Somewhere  “patients” shifted to “customers”, and “pharmacists” shifted to “glorified sales clerks”.  I find more meaning and fulfillment doing something in my spare time that would only have required an 8th grade education, and it even involves a job that would deal with the public, and wouldn’t involve standing for 8 to 12 hours straight, with no bathroom or lunch break, or worries about liability and whether or not I missed something serious enough to kill someone during the chaos of the typical pharmacy day.  How’s that for irony?
I am pervasively sad and exhausted to my core today.  Actually have been for some time.  How are you feeling?
--T.Ph.RPh.

4 comments:

  1. Nailed it you did. Not sure I could have said it any better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly! That means a lot to me, especially coming from the Rock God of pharmacy blogging!

      From the looks of it, you haven't even reeled from your adventures of the past few days. Way to hang tough. If I didn't have such a sweet set-up here, if I were in your shoes, I'd be out hunting some kind of academia-related job.

      To quote Braveheart: "FREEEEEEDDDDOOOOMMMM!!!"
      --T.Ph.RPh
      (I'd be even more honored if your blog would link to my blog! I'm never above shameless self-promotion!)

      Delete
  2. Funny, but this has been my experience, too. I feel as though being in retail pharmacy has diminished my soul in many ways. I'm burned out. Yes, I'm stressed most days, but I am burned out and have been that way for almost a year now. I have little empathy for the patients coming to refill their medications and absolutely no time to deal with morons that come to the counter and look me straight in the eye and ask, "Hey, do ya'll sell popcorn? AND I need to know if ya'll have special distilled water back there I could buy for my CPAP machine because I need to best distilled water for my CPAP." OMG...how is it that someone is actually trying to ENHANCE this person's oxygen intake instead of shutting off the valve...ugh.

    Glad to have found your blog. Sorry to sign in as "anonymous" for now. You'll see me on other pharmacy posts eventually. Keep up the good work/writing.

    MAP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep anonymous - I certainly plan to. I understand the other side of the coin - putting yourself out there for validity's sake, but I value my life. And with the craziness that is happening in the world today, I am not about to put anything on this blog that would identify me in the least. As much as I bitch, and plan to bitch on this blog, I value my life, and the life of my family, and the relationships I have worked my ass of to cultivate in this city, and I am not going to jeopardize that by posting my name, phone number, and address!!

      Shoot, it almost took an act of Congress for the local police department to get my phone number, and I know they have to have it. I made them sign a contract that they WOULD NOT call me out on a weekend just because some yahoo forgot to pick up their refill (that of course had been sitting there four days) before we closed for the weekend. I'm not about to put out here!!

      Delete