Monday, August 13, 2012

The New Humana Addendum Exhibit C: I Moved to Independent to Get Away from this Shit!

Well, going through my Monday, which started out like any typical Monday, I begin fulfilling my PIC duties.  Such as reading the new Humana Retail Contract Addendum I received on August 7th.  Yes, I really read these things.  You never know when they are going to stick two sentences in these "addendums" (I call them "Audit Set-Ups") that will result in your pharmacy losing thousands at an audit.  And being an Independent store, I no longer have the legal eagles at the chains to keep me informed of these assinine little changes...I do miss that aspect of working for a chain.

Have any of you have read the addendum?  Specifically, Attachment 1, Exhibit C????  I suggest  you review it.  My blood pressure shot up about a gazillion points when I did.  As a matter of fact, I haven't even finished reading.  That's how high my BP is right now.  I'm about to hyperventilate.  I left the chains to get away from metric bullshit like this.  One of the main reasons I left.  Other than an older gentleman pharmacist getting harrassed by the Zoot Suits (my name for the Security Suits) for having his water back in the pharmacy without stickers on all of the bottles (the man did go through the bottled water).  The man has the keys to the narcotic cabinet, but they are apparently worried he is going to steal a case of water.  Gah!

They regularly harrassed me, but whatever.  Never made much difference, and I'd come right back at them if I felt justified.  Petty, stupid stuff.  And when my stores performed, as they always did, harrasment tapered off and I was left alone to be successful, the way it should be done (from 10% to 20% profitability increase, within six months at the helm - at five different employers, by the way, kinda a pattern for me - is hard to argue with, even when it isn't done the "corporate way").  And regardless of whether or not they are trying to coerce someone to quit, that kind of game was not allowed in my store - DO NOT MESS WITH MY STAFF - employers or impatient patients, back off!  Just man up and fire him....ah, but there's the rub.  If that happens, they have to pay a severence package.  And I called the Zoot Suit on it and pissed him off.  But they started finally leaving him alone...at my store, anyway.  And for those who might care, he eventually did bow down to the pressure.  They quit putting him at my store where I could stick up for him.

But, I digress (yes, that is my favorite phrase).

Back to the addendum...

Humana is introducing "Participating Pharmacy Service Standards."  Maybe it's been in the contracts for a while, and my being a lazy corporate RPh, didn't realize it.  But here it is. 

They are now telling me how quickly they expect me to fill prescriptions.  WTF???  I quote:  "If the prescription cannot be filled within twenty (20) minutes, the Member must be informed when the prescription will be available."

It takes at least 20 minutes for the electronically prescribed Rx to arrive in my computer system.  Being in a small town, even when the clinic informs patients it will be 45 minutes before the pharmacy will have their rx ready, they still show up over here in 10 minutes or less.  In bigger cities, the electronic script services may save time, but here, they could individually walk the rxs over faster.  I hate e-scripts, by the way.  Errors, and expense.  Again, I digress...

And here's this one -

"Participating Pharmacies' personnel shall not make any negative comments with regard to an individual's insurance company, prescription drug benefit, physician, or other persons associated with providing the individual's health care."

I'm sorry, when they are in here complaining about mail order, and I'm GIVING them medication to tide them over, I'm not gonna keep my mouth shut about temperature extremes not being good for medication, missing doses not being good for the patient, etc.  Sorry.  I guess I'll have to refine how I present the information...but wait, that would be playing their game.  Hmm...quandry...

Of course, on a normal day, my Rxs are ready in minutes.  Which is one reason people stay here.  But there are days, and certain times of each day, where things take longer.  Who are you to dictate best practices to me?  I can bet I have been in this industry longer than the people who came up with this crap.

They are also dictating the length of time it will take to order a drug for stock.  One business day. 

That's not the issue...here comes the issue, and I take exception to the wording:

"...the prescription will be transferred to another Participating Pharmacy that is able to timely dispense the medication as required."

They are also requiring the pharmacy to provide a 48 to 72 hour supply of medication, apparently at their own expense, in the event the eligibility of the indivudual or the coverage of the product cannot be obtained..."subject to Pharmacist's professional judgement."  Nice caveat there, thanks.

They are now requiring access to an on-call Pharmacist telephone support 24 hours per day, 7 days a week, with the pharmacist to return calls within 30 minutes of notification!!!!!  I am the only pharmacist in an extremely rural area, the only pharmacist for 35 miles in one direction, and over 50 in the other.  Am I to be on-call for my entire life?  Oh, hell no.  Might be different if I had a partner here, but I don't.  And to deny their patient members access to a quality pharmacy simply because they cannot comply with this measure is illegal at best.

They require the pharmacy to report any serious adverse event to the FDA or the pharmaceutical manufacturer within 24 hours of patient report or notification.

I am also now required to have a back-order monitoring system that can track and provide ADVANCE NOTIFICATION for potential stock shortages or outages for products.  Um, much of the time, the only "advance notice" I receive is not getting it in the order. 

We then must also be able to provide a report containing a list of all impacted drugs, at the NDC level, the manufacturer's distribution status and the manufacturer's target release date.  We must also have an inventory system to track its daily on-hand product balance. 

This type of addendum is yet another tool to chip away at the independent drug stores' ability to provide services to its community, and to direct business to their mail-order companies.  This is such a huge conflict of interest issue.  I do not know how they can get away with this, except that WE SIGN IT AND TAKE IT.

I am going to appeal the on-call portion.  I thought I had a rural contract, and perhaps I do.  But even in smaller non-rural areas, this provision will kill a pharmacy, even a chain store.  Wouldn't you rather your members have access to 40 hours of care, rather than none at all?

How did we allow this to get this far?

I don't so much have an issue with any of these policies (ok, I have a MAJOR issue with the on-call crap).  My policies are as strict or stricter (and I can't remember a month when I didn't come up to the store after hours, sometimes several times, with no requirement).  My issue is for an insurance company being allowed to dictate to me how to run my business.  I am (was?) an autonomous professional, with awesome, mad, business skills in addition to my pharmacy knowledge.  On a level playing field, capitalism works.  On a level playing field.  The people will chose what is right for their lives and lifestyle, and if the competition doesn't keep up, their businesses will suffer.  On a level playing field. 

But the deck is stacked against the independent retail pharmacy.  Has been for some time, and the stack just gets taller and taller.  The playing field is broken, rough, un-navigable ground.  I hate legislation, but I see no alternative.

GIVE ME THE SAME RULES AND OPPORTUNITY, AND I WILL SUCEED OVER YOUR MAIL-ORDER, CHAIN-STORE FACTORIES EACH AND EVERY TIME, WITHOUT FAIL.

We've done it with the odds being stacked against us, so they damn well know we can do it, which is why they stack the deck. 

Question is, when are we going to level the playing field?  How are we going to level it?  We must take a hard, hard look at these two questions, and implement the answers soon, or pharmacy, even as we unfortuanetly know it today, will disappear forever.

And that, my friends, makes me sad and tired.  As a child, there was nothing great about being sick, except missing school and the visit to the pharmacist, who always made me feel special, and gave me a sucker.  I eventually went to work for this man, and he set me on my current path.  I aspired to be him, only to find a totally different world of pharmacy awaiting by the time I graduated.  I've been sad, sad to my core, since I graduated from pharmacy school.  It's been a long career.  Something must change soon.  But I feel as if I won't last to see that change, because as soon as the opportunity presents itself, I will soon be in a position to escape.

Thanks for listening.

Have any of you seen this addendum?  How do you plan to manage? Any ideas on how to take this raging bull by the horns and turn our profession around?

I'd love to hear some ideas!

    -- T.Ph.RPh.

P.S.  There's more!  I forgot I marked some other important issues in this addendum.  This is an important addendum, and I am worried that many independents, especially those in buying groups or that participate in contract plans will miss these important additions/changes.

For those owned by Boards, or multiple partners:


All managers, officers, and directors responsible for the administration or delivery of Part D benefits are now required "to sign an conflict of interest statemnet, attestation, or certification at the time of hire and annually thereafter certifying that the manager, officer, or director is free from any conflict of interest in administering or delivering Medicare Part D benefits or services, and adopt and follow a code of conduct particular to its organization that reflects a commitment to detercting, correcting, and preventing fraud, waste, and abuse in the administration or delivery of Medicare Part D benefits."  This would include Board members and managing officers if the pharmacy is not owned by an individual pharmacist, and would also include any managers they may have hired, along with high level staff.

This one is important to me, as we serve a very wide, rural area, and were about to branch out into a nearby (i.e. almost 30 miles away) town with no pharmacy for 30+ miles in any direction, plus we mail to some of our elderly who live in the country, especially in the wintertime, as they have a hard time making into town on the ice:

Home Delivery does not include mail order delivery through the USPS, FedEx, or UPS, or other mail service carrier.  Mail order is strictly prohibited under this Agreement.  Provider agrees that neither Humana nor Member shall be charged any additional fees or delivery charges for Home Delivery.  Provider agrees that Home Delivery greater than 30% of total prescriptions to Members is prohibited.
Oh, but it's ok for them to not only mail things, but to have a huge mail-order business, and then prohibit anyone else from using the mail.

Here's something that is exactly backwards from what I was taught in Pharmacy Law:

In the event of a conflict between federal and state law, the parties agree that federal law shall govern in terms of Medicare lines of business and for Members who are beneficiaries in employer sponsered emplyee welfare benefit plans.

I was taught that the stricter of two laws was the law to apply.  This states otherwise.  I can understand, partly, the Medicare, as it is a federal program, but the employer sponsered employee welfare benefit plans?  Is the welfare system not state-run?  Or am I missing something here?

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT ADDENDUM.  PLEASE DO NOT OVERLOOK THIS!

8 comments:

  1. I FUCKING HATE this profession. I'm sorry. This job! There is nothing and never has been anything professional about it. I commend you for trying but we're all fucked and there isn't anything that can be done about it. Wish I had an idea how to get the fuck out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It just sucks, and I have a great job, and it sucks. I may address how to get out in a future post but will have to do some research in my spare time (hahahaha). Oh, I crack me up.

      But there are other options out there, including book editing, writing, consulting, and all kinds of niche markets if you want to stay in the profession but get the hell out of retail. We are scientists, with the equivalent of a Master's degree in biology or chemistry. With a little on-the-job training, you could make a decent living with those degrees.

      Or, get your shit together, get your finances in order, and take the pay cut and find an independent to work for. You'll have to go rural, but rural doesn't mean a gazillion miles from a city. There are tons of tiny towns that would love a pharmacy, and all within 20 minutes drive of a big city. It's worth it, my friend, to save your sanity and your soul.

      Thanks for commenting! You made my day! I've had over 1000 views now on this thanks to DrugMonkey and not one comment until you, and Mr. Lawnchair below (didn't realize who he was when I contacted him, just stumbled on his blog and enjoyed it, and BAM...from 165 views to over 1000 within 24 hours.)

      Delete
  2. Can you imagine what the contract looks like over at Wag's? Despite my corporate overlords shaking each others' hands at the dissolution of the Great WAG/ESI Hissy Fit, now that they are BFFs again, those of us in Corporate Land should be quaking in our collective against-dress-code boots.

    The independent pharmacy owners are the bastion of hope for those of us in retail. Well, those of us who care in retail. I wish I could shake the complacent members of our profession. For now, I suppose one at a time is good enough.

    Thanks so much for scaring me just slightly more. These sorts of stories can only help gather more to the cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been on the fence about doing something, or just getting out. Part of me feels as if I need to give back to the profession that has provided me with a decent living.

      But I am still wondering just what it is we can do. But I am tired of doing nothing and it will be many years before I am in a position to get out.

      So I'm blogging. I've got other things in the back of my mind, but we'll just have to see.

      Against-dress-code boots! Love it. I've been in the chain world, so know what you mean.

      I don't know if people are complacent, or just feel powerless and don't know what to do. I certainly don't. I mean, wow, my blog is really gonna break us out of the funk, huh...

      but like I said in the reply to the comment above, I'm tired of doing nothing.

      Thanks for commenting - you made my day - see my reply to Anon above so I dont have to type it again - gotta get in bed so I can go get raped again tomorrow by Mr. Joe Q. Public, the PBMs, and whoever else decides to bring it.

      Sleep well! Write your Congressmen!

      Delete
  3. The latest and greatest from Humana sent my blood pressure through the roof. What I would like to tell them would probably invite an audit, so I will have to temper my tone.

    If you have not heard about them, check out PUTT. It is a group of pharmacy owners who have retained the services of a PR firm in an effort to take back the profession by putting our story out there and exposing PBM misconduct: http://www.truthrx.org/

    Also, if you are an owner you might be interested in a message board to foster communication and the exchange of ideas between other owners: https://rxsolutioncenter.com/newsignup.aspx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve - thanks for the info...I'll certainly check them out!

      Glad I'm not the only one who saw red when reading the addition. There has got to be a way to stop this without being tired up in expensive legislation for the next 10 years.

      Grrrr! Phrustration does not even begin to describe what I am feeling now.

      Thanks for commenting!
      --T.Ph.RPh

      Delete
    2. Wow, I have to say... I've never seen the terms from an insurance contract before. I've been a licensed pharmacist for about a year now, working for the 3rd largest chain as a floater. As such, I've never actually seen any of the contracts they send out.... It was nice seeing the crazy things they want us to do, just so we can serve THEIR paying members...

      However, the thing that made me actually reply vs. just read.... That last comment about them saying "federal law takes priority". What I've learned is 2 things, you're correct, the strictest law takes priority, and something that is against the law can't be enforced in a contract (Otherwise, you could sue for damages if someone didn't assassinate someone as you contracted them to do). So, do what is legal in your state. If they try to audit you, and take money due to that. Sue them in Small Claims. They will even give in, or lose.

      Hirka T'Bawa RPh

      Delete
    3. Hirka -
      Thanks for the comment! If you think this is bad, you should read the actual contract! This is just an addendum. Ugh.

      And I never really thought about it in those terms - and it just further reinforces the idea that the stricter law takes precedence. I do think, however, that programs run by the Fed Gov will have Fed law take precedence, like Medicare.

      But Medicaid is run by the state, even though in my state it is divided among several PBMs now.

      It makes my brain hurt to think about this crap this early in the morning!

      Thanks again!

      Delete